Are your students struggling with word problems?
Do you want to empower them with effective tools that foster mathematical reasoning?
Navigating Number Stories:
Using Effective Word Problem Instruction
Navigating Number Stories is an 8-week online course designed to equip educators with research-based strategies and resources for solving word problems.
Discover the Research: Learn about two highly research-based practices: explicit schema-based instruction and attack strategies. Together these approaches are proven to be powerful for student success in understanding and applying word problem structures. Navigating Number Stories is designed for grades K-6, although the explicit schema-based instruction and attack strategies are highly beneficial for all students K-8.
Schedule: “Live” online Zoom classes will be held Thursdays 6-8 pm EST on January 11, 18, 25; February 1, 8, 15, 29; and March 7
Certificate: At the completion of the course, you will receive a certificate for 15 hours
Through a carefully crafted curriculum, you will…
- learn what research says NOT to do!
- delve into the what, why, when, and how of effective word problem instruction
- explore the transformative power of using explicit schema-based instruction and attack strategies
During this course, you’ll discover high-quality research that underscores the pivotal role of using effective attack strategies and schema-based instruction in understanding word problem structures and fostering mathematical reasoning.
By the end of the program, you will…
- Feel more confident in your ability to effectively teach and model word problem schemas, leading to improved student understanding and performance
- Develop a comprehensive skill set to craft specialized classroom materials tailored to the specific needs of your students and your grade level, fostering a deeper understanding of word problem structures
- Harness the potential of manipulatives to create an engaging learning environment, enhancing students’ grasp of complex mathematical problems and paving the way for lasting academic success
This course is designed to equip you with the essential skills and insights needed to facilitate a transformative learning experience for your students, regardless of their learning abilities.
You will receive a comprehensive toolkit, including detailed instructions, instructional videos, and a wealth of resources. Our aim is to provide you with the necessary resources and guidance to ensure a smooth and successful integration of these word problem strategies into your teaching practices.
Take the next step towards transforming your students’ mathematical journey. Enroll in Navigating Number Stories today and discover the power of effective word problem instruction!
Meet Your Guide:
Taryn Grassia, M.Ed. is a General Education Teacher with over 24 years of experience teaching grades K-6. She has spent the past 15 years concentrating on effective math instruction at the elementary level and has provided professional development workshops for educators in a multitude of content areas, as well as serving on various math leadership teams. Her passion is to make math meaningful and accessible to all students, while empowering educators to feel confident teaching math in their own classrooms.
Course Schedule and Topics:
“Live” online classes via Zoom will be held Thursdays 6-8 pm EST on January 11, 18, 25; February 1, 8, 15, 29; and March 7
- January 11: Class Kickoff!
- January 18: Combine and Take Apart Schema
- January 25: Additive Comparison Schema
- February 1: Add To/Take From Schema
- February 8: Equal Groups and Area/Array Schemas
- February 15: Multiplicative Comparison Schema
- February 29: Multi-Step Number Stories
- March 7: Fractions, Decimals, and Course Wrap-up
Course Name and Description:
Navigating Number Stories: Using Effective Word Problem Instruction
In Navigating Number Stories, educators will explore how to effectively teach word problems in their classrooms to promote mathematical reasoning. This course will focus on two highly researched practices, explicit schema-based instruction and attack strategies, which have proven to be powerful tools for student success in understanding word problem structures. While Navigating Number Stories is tailored for grades K-6, explicit schema-based instruction and attack strategies are beneficial in kindergarten through eighth grade.
Participants will learn about the high-quality research that concludes effective attack strategies and schema-based instruction promote mathematical reasoning and increase word-problem performance for students with and without learning disabilities. In this course participants will feel effective in teaching and modeling word problem schemas for all four operations, developing classroom materials, and using manipulatives that support word problem understanding.
Participants will receive instructions, videos, and resources for teaching word problem schemas and attack strategies, supporting participants in their ability to implement these strategies and methods effectively in their classrooms.
Upon completion, participants will receive a certificate for 15 hours
Cost: $297Register Now